It’s the perfect time of year to go fishing in Western Washington. You can fish for trout, salmon, and many other types of fish (and you can go crabbing and shrimping as well!) during the summer. Check out http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/index.html for regulations and all the information you may need to get your fish on.
Now that we know what we’re going to fish for, let’s talk about how to prepare for a fishing trip. There are quite a few things you should have with you on every trip. Some of these items are going to make you say, “well, of course I’d have that with me always!” But some other ones may not be in the front of your mind. I hope you find this list helpful!
- Fishing rods—obviously. Although, I don’t feel bad including it on the list because it’s really the one thing you can’t fish without.
- Extra line-you can never have too much line. You can use it for everything…and you’ll need it if your line breaks.
- Lures-Check out this cool website to see what kinds of fish are attracted to what lures! https://www.mepps.com/resources/lure-selection-guide/
- Extra hooks for when a fish swims away with the hook that’s on the line in the water
- Needle nose pliers-if you forget every other tool, don’t forget this one!
- Fillet knife-you can get a 6” knife and do anything with it, but a 10” knife will really get the point across. Also, spring for a fillet board to make your life a whole lot easier.
- Spine-resistant gloves and a first aid kit for when you forget to wear the gloves.
- A cooler to keep your live bait and/or any catch you want to keep for dinner
- A live well or stringers for any fish you want to keep (that doesn’t go in your cooler)
- Paper towels and hand sanitizer for, well, keeping your hands clean(er) after playing around with the fish
- Sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and other necessities for keeping you from getting sunburn while out on the water and rain gear just in case you get caught in a shower
- Life vests-these are very important, especially if you have kids with you! Make sure they fit properly, too.
Come check out our shop and get a few of these items. And there is always more you can take with you while fishing, but these are some essentials. Make sure you have the proper license (check out http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing.html) before you go out on the water!
As always, be safe and have fun out on the water! Also, check out one of our previous blogs where we talk about cooking your catch.